Wednesday, October 20, 2010

New Job Starts Tomorrow

After a day of my life was consumed by a cab ride, flight from JFK to PHX, and a shuttle to Tucson, I was fried. I managed to get home only to turn around and go pick up the kids from school. The unmistakable joy on their faces when they saw who was picking them up was priceless. I heard breathless accounts of a field trip to a pumpkin patch and rule infractions that resulted in a child being sent to the principal's office.

The weather changed while I was gone, and Tucson is now enjoying the glorious cool, sunny, breezy weather that is our reward for enduring triple digits for the past five months. We snacked and chatted, and I caught a few Z's before taking the kids to our midweek program at Church while my oldest stayed home to complete an essay.

I start my new job tomorrow. I feel so strange not having an immediate work-related task occupying my consciousness. When I went in last week, I found my future co-workers to be incredibly creative, out-of-the-box thinkers. I thought about showing them the Alec Baldwin Glengarry Glen Ross clip about "coffee is for closers" monologue, but opted instead for a Tracey Ullman "Special Skills" clip in which three interviewees for a marketing firm are presented with a box of assorted everyday items and are challenged to express themselves creatively in one minute.

Which would you show?

No comments:

Post a Comment