Friday, October 22, 2010

Day 1: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Having traded my freedom for nine-to-fivedom, I wondered if I would feel trapped like the hapless staff of 'The Office'. On the contrary, I told my new boss, there is a great deal of freedom in an environment that demands your full focus. I loved what I did at AOL, and this environment feels a lot like it. It's refreshing not having the distractions of home.

My direct reports seem fun, one quipped "I'm off like a prom dress," as he left for the day (heard that before) while another described his client as having an attention span of a ferret in a meth lab (hadn't heard that one).

I have a couple of things to do. I have to write a couple of job descriptions and hire, as well as meet with the other managers to learn how they prioritize their ad sales and see how I can get everyone on the same page with priorities.

Meeting after meeting today, most of the names are a blur, but I know them by face and area of responsibility. Everyone was hospitable and seemed really (too?) glad I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment